Notifications
Clear all

How does PS stack up to Cura and others?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter  

So my main question is in regards to the most basic of slicer metrics like support generation, slicing, travel efficiency, etc. how does PS stack up to Cura and others?

ReplyQuote

PrusaSlicer is the only slicer which supports maximum volumetric speed. It has ability to utilizing printer's maximum output without endless twiddling of speeds and put it at the top for "serious" use, IMO.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tucson

PrusaSlicer is the only slicer which supports maximum volumetric speed. It has ability to utilizing printer's maximum output without endless twiddling of speeds and put it at the top for "serious" use, IMO.

What does maximum volumetric speed mean? That you can make the printer print faster?

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @spike

What does maximum volumetric speed mean? That you can make the printer print faster?

Your hotend has a maximum rate at which it can reliably heat and move plastic. This is referred to in PrusaSlicer/Slic3r as the "Maximum volumetric speed" (MVS)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Your hotend has a maximum rate at which it can reliably heat and move plastic. This is referred to in PrusaSlicer/Slic3r as the "Maximum volumetric speed" (MVS)

There's just about a 0% chance that you also use the CR10v2 and have already nailed down it's MVS for generic PLA is there?

ReplyQuote

There's just about a 0% chance that you also use the CR10v2 and have already nailed down it's MVS for generic PLA is there?

I don't know the MVS for the CR10, but I've compiled some notes that will let you test it yourself. I think you'd be doing the Creality community a big favor if you'd document your results as the info is impossible to find.

ReplyQuote

There's modifier objects for PrusaSlicer and it's super useful/powerful. The only thing I wish we could get from other slicers in PS is tree supports for FFF.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  
Posted by: @zayden

There's modifier objects for PrusaSlicer and it's super useful/powerful. The only thing I wish we could get from other slicers in PS is tree supports for FFF.

What benefits come from tree supports? I took a look at them in Cura and they don't seem very rugged to me.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @zayden

What benefits come from tree supports? I took a look at them in Cura and they don't seem very rugged to me.

You can support more parts of your model from the build plate which would result in less scarring.

ReplyQuote

In term of slicing quality Cura has a slight edge but PS is miles ahead of it in most respects. Fantastic and powerful modifier system; clear, responsive UI; the best support for multicolor printing. It’s still missing ironing and tree supports.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @raylan

In term of slicing quality Cura has a slight edge but PS is miles ahead of it in most respects. Fantastic and powerful modifier system; clear, responsive UI; the best support for multicolor printing. It’s still missing ironing and tree supports.

I use both of them in my daily task I think quality wise they are both about equal. Main reason I use cura is tree supports 

ReplyQuote

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.