Notifications
Clear all

From prototype to production

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter  

I am professionally prototypes maker but have a question
i am thinking to make bunch of protypes and selling the them do you think it could be a great idea ?.Or do I need someone to officially test the product and give some kind of approval before the product can be sold on the market? Any idea how much that would cost?

ReplyQuote

What kind of product is this? It would be easier to answer this if you told more about your product. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  
Posted by: @spike

What kind of product is this? It would be easier to answer this if you told more about your product. 

it's a computer controlled gadget that has a bunch of servos in a 3D printed case and allows you to move them around. It also has a USB webcam attached to it and a low-power laser pointer

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @raylan

it's a computer controlled gadget that has a bunch of servos in a 3D printed case and allows you to move them around. It also has a USB webcam attached to it and a low-power laser pointer

Little bit more info might help 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Little bit more info might help 

I can't give much more details but it is meant to be used as a controllable camera (of sorts), and the market could be anyone in the US.

ReplyQuote

I can tell you the answer only if you tell me the cost 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tucson

It cost me around 500$ to build though most of it was from the expensive 3D printing service and I believe this could be done for closer to 50$.

ReplyQuote

Posted by: @tucson

It cost me around 500$ to build though most of it was from the expensive 3D printing service and I believe this could be done for closer to 50$.

As long as your buyers know what they are getting into, no harm done. But, based on your $500 cost, I doesn't seem like it's going to be something you can do on large scale. You should seek feedback from consumer / gauge demand / do long term testing

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply,do I need someone to officially test the product and give some kind of approval before the product can be sold on the market?

ReplyQuote

Thanks for the reply,do I need someone to officially test the product and give some kind of approval before the product can be sold on the market?

You may need to look into UL or CE testing depending on what your market is.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter  

Cool

For replacing the 3D printing part, and getting the casing down in large quantities, is the most common way to use plastic injection molding (sorry total noob here)? If so, any good references that are US-based?

ReplyQuote

Cool

For replacing the 3D printing part, and getting the casing down in large quantities, is the most common way to use plastic injection molding (sorry total noob here)? If so, any good references that are US-based?

China will cost you about 5-10x less than the US. Many US companies get tooling done in China, and then manufacture here. Alibaba is not a terrible place to look for them.

ReplyQuote

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

*By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.